Surprise Snow Storm in Oregon
Ty and I picked up Miki and other guardies from the "slaughterhouse" (warehouse were they practice) at 3:00 and roads weren't too bad so we decided to go get the Mercedes from HFAC where Kirsten works since the desiel fuel doesn't like the cold and snow. As we were driving to HF there were alot of cars off the road but we chugged along fine in the Golf. After uncovering the Mercedes - Kirsten wasn't allowed to leave yet - Ty drove her car and I drove the Golf. We debated which way to go home since her car is rear wheel drive and turbo - terrible in snow. Brookwood was a mess as we had just came from there. We took a gamble on Cornelius Pass to help the Merc. make it. BIG MISTAKE!!!! It took us 2 hours from Winco to home (usually 5 min drive), 2 hours!!! There was a car stuck almost in the middle of the road on the hill just after the curve under the max tracks resulting in one way traffic. Just after I finally passed the car, my little Golf lost all traction! Bald tires didn't help. I had people passing me on the right and one right on my bumper. I had to roll down my window and wave my arm like mad to get the person behind me to go around. Thankfully I could roll backwards enough to get my left front wheel onto some fresh snow and traction. I finallly made it up the hill and then fell apart crying and shaking. Then there was the other dip after Quatama light. Thankfully Ty was far enough ahead of me to give me guidance on what to do. I basically stopped toward the top of the hill and waited for everyone to go down and back up the other side before I made a run at it - good thing as 3 trucks got stuck at the bottom! It took a police car, the one that closed the road just after 3 cars behind me, finally wondering what the holdup was and going down the hill to a final truck not moving. After a conversation, the truck took off and went straight up the hill - looked like the cop had to tell them how to get into 4 wheel drive, sheesh. I made it down and then up the hill just great in my little trooper. I slide more after that but was controllable, pat on the back for me. By the time I got home, I was a wreck emotionally and couldn't quit shaking. Being stuck on the hill in traffic was way more tramatic than you would think. OH, and Sara had let the gas tank get to empty, so I spent the whole time worried I was going to run out of gas on top of everything.
We missed Adam Hopper's Court of Honor as Ty and I both were in no shape to drive. He was able to control the Mercedes but he had to really work at it and then he was worried about me - especially when i called freaked out that I was stuck on the hill behind him and there was nothing he could do. It was dark by then and cars everywhere, heavy snow and no idea how to stop the Mercedes and help me and then get the car going again. What a mess.
That was my adventure, LOL. I have had one Xanax, played in the snow with Miki and Oliver, took pics and worked on photo book and still have the inner shakes. sheesh, I used to be more confident. But, Lane did get stuck in the Imlay parking lot and needed a push. Lane, Sara and Hunter pushed as I drove cuz Lane had more confidence in me driving, yeah. I was so happy to know what to do when sliding in the wrong direction and correct it and get us out of the parking lot. I needed that boost, then I wanted to keep driving his car darn it, LOL.

No comments:
Post a Comment